On Tuesday we read these two books (above) that we checked out from the library, the kids were fascinated and very interested in the topic since they have been enthralled with the crunchy fall leaves outside and of course always interested in animals. (I actually learned that a chipmunk belongs to the squirrel family from the book above :).
We also went to Cabellas just yesterday and we talked about some of the woodland critters that we saw-the squirrels and chipmunks especially.
I actually had the topic of sharing scheduled for this week but decided to hold off on that since they have been so excited about Fall (and they have been doing an amazing job at sharing lately anyway-I am impressed by them!)
After reading the books, we pretended we were squirrels and gathered toys (pretending they were acorns) and brought them back to our "home"-the kids LOVED it!
For our second activity today I went outside and gathered as many fall leaves as I could and brought them in for them to play with in the sensory bin. I also found some mice, squirrel, and spider toys from their toy box to add to the fun.
(You could OF COURSE go outside and play in the leaves, but it was just one of those days where it was too much trouble to get them ready to go out again), it also worked better for the kids to enjoy the leaves in their sensory bin while I was nearby making dinner.
We did several of the same things that Minka and Mouse did in Mouse's First Fall.
- Piled up the leaves
- Noticed the different shapes and sizes
- Had the mice hide under the leaves
...and more!
Such a fun children's book activity!
A great way to make the story tangible and real!
I'm introducing the spider because we will be talking a little about spiders Halloween week and I have a fun spider craft planned for them!
Make sure to go outside and enjoy the fall weather and leaves when you DO have a moment. Last night we walked to the little neighborhood park two streets over and enjoyed walking through all of the GIANT crunchy leaves on the sidewalks in front of our neighbors' houses.



No comments:
Post a Comment