This has been a fun week, although the kiddos have had colds we have done some fun things that they were able to enjoy!
Day 1 books
The kids absolutely loved Thanks to the Animals (library book) it is about friends and the kindness of others (definitely something to be thankful for) it was nice too that the snow setting in the book kind of connected to our talking about igloos on the 2nd day of preschool.
We also read My book of Thanks (an old favorite) and then talked about all of the things that we are thankful for.
Peek-A-Bug (D.I.) was a stretch but maybe not (I is for insect was my thinking)
Some "I words" we talked about were, Insect, Inchworm (we "inched" our way around on the floor), igloo, inside.
Lil' Miss was confusing the sound "I" makes so I told her (and showed her) that when you say the sound with your mouth it looks "iiii-cky"- she caught on quick after that.
We made "insects" for our snacks after making our cute turkeys:
Some cute songs for November:
Let's Be Thankful
(Sung To: Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star)
Let's be thankful for this day
For our friends and our play
Let's be thankful; let's be glad
For our food and the things we have
Let's give thanks for you and me
And our home and family.
Let's be thankful for this day
For our friends and our play
Let's be thankful; let's be glad
For our food and the things we have
Let's give thanks for you and me
And our home and family.
Gobble Song
(Sing To: Did You Ever See a Lassie?)
Oh, gobble, gobble, gobble, fat turkeys, fat turkeys.
Oh, gobble, gobble, gobble, fat turkeys are we.
We walk very proudly and gobble so loudly,
Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble.
Oh, gobble, gobble, gobble, fat turkeys are we.
Oh, gobble, gobble, gobble, fat turkeys, fat turkeys.
Oh, gobble, gobble, gobble, fat turkeys are we.
We walk very proudly and gobble so loudly,
Gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble, gobble.
Oh, gobble, gobble, gobble, fat turkeys are we.
I got these songs from this site, SUCH a wonderful preschool resource site!! :)
Lil' Miss is already going about her days singing the gobble song!:)
Another fun connection is that we saw turkeys at the pumpkin patch we visited last week!
Day 2 books
The top two books were recent finds at the wonderful D.I. (check out your local thrift store and sift through the children's books-you're bound to find some keepers-no pun intended! :)
The Very Lonely Firefly book was one of the books my son picked out for a bed time story tonight-I love when we can make connections at times other than designated preschool (an insect book!). It was fun too because it was a book the kids hadn't looked at for quite awhile, I thought it was broken on the last page (spoiler alert: the last page is actual flickering lights (fireflies)-if you've never read the book) and to our surprise when we reached the last page, those little fireflies flickered. We all sat there mesmerized- I don't think Mr. J has ever even seen them flicker-a magical moment. :)
I made the top igloo (in about 5 seconds while the kids were watching the video clip on how to build an igloo :/) and showed them and then gave them the piece of paper, white paper strips, white crayons and let them go to town!
I made the mistake of giving Lil' Miss a thousand paper strips so she felt that she couldn't be finished until she glued ALL of them on, you live you learn.
Looking back I would've given her only as many as it had taken me to make my igloo.
Mr. J. had fun with it too for a minute or two.
Another idea that we didn't get to that I came up with was getting Inside and then getting outside of a large plastic tub or bin (I scored a good deal at the store the other day, so I have empty ones just sitting around :) I did talk to them, however, about how you can go Inside of an igloo and keep nice and warm, like the men on the video we watched would be doing .
I think they both enjoyed what we did do, especially after being so enthralled with this little video we watched before making our own igloos:
It was a fantastic video clip and we were all captivated by it! :)
We will have to try our hand at making a real igloo this winter!







No comments:
Post a Comment